BBC Radio 2 have announced an exclusive series of gigs, in a special season called Piano Room Month.
The gigs will be broadcast live in Ken Bruce’s Radio 2 show (Monday to Friday, 9.30am-12pm) and on BBC Sounds. Each artist will perform three tracks – a new song, a classic, and a cover – with members of the BBC Concert Orchestra accompanying alongside them. Following the live shows, each performance will be available to watch live on BBC iPlayer then on demand from 6pm that day and available for 30 days afterwards. Ken’s PopMaster quiz – which sees two contestants compete in a pop quiz – remains daily at 10.30am.
In addition to the live broadcasts, an hour-long special will be broadcast on Radio 2 each Sunday (7pm-8pm) featuring highlights from the previous week’s performances (Sunday 6, 13, 20 and 27 February).
Jeff Smith, Radio 2’s Head of Music, says: “At Radio 2 we pride ourselves on providing our music-loving listeners with the widest range of songs and live music to be heard anywhere on UK radio. We worked hard to offer incredible performances to our audience throughout the past two years, and I’m thrilled to bring 20 live sessions to each of Ken’s weekday shows next month.
“I’d like to thank all of the artists, most of whom will be performing their first live session of 2022, as well as the BBC Concert Orchestra, who have been busy rehearsing a vast range of different songs. Tune in live, watch them all on BBC iPlayer or listen on BBC Sounds.”
The artists performing are:
- Monday 31 January: David Gray
- Tuesday 1 February: Jack Savoretti
- Wednesday 2 February: Stereophonics
- Thursday 3 February: Anne-Marie
- Friday 4 February: Katie Melua
- Monday 7 February: Clean Bandit
- Tuesday 8 February: Joy Crookes
- Wednesday 9 February: Will Young, performing on the anniversary of him winning Pop Idol in 2002
- Thursday 10 February: Rebecca Ferguson
- Friday 11 February: Tom Odell
- Monday 14 February: James Morrison
- Tuesday 15 February: Ella Henderson
- Wednesday 16 February: Craig David
- Thursday 17 February: Natalie Imbruglia
- Friday 18 February: James Blunt
- Monday 21 February: Tears For Fears
- Tuesday 22 February: Simple Minds
- Wednesday 23 February: Emeli Sandé
- Thursday 24 February: Jamie Cullum (pre-recorded)
- Friday 25: February Ed Sheeran (pre-recorded)
Ken Bruce says: “I predict cold, rain and possibly even a smattering of snow this February – so what better remedy than to sit back with a warm brew and join me and some of the finest musicians in the world for Radio 2’s Piano Room Month.”
Bill Chandler, Director BBC Concert Orchestra, says: “The BBC Concert Orchestra takes great pride in its Radio 2 home and is excited to collaborate with such a range of world-class musicians for its Piano Room Month. As the UK’s most versatile orchestra, we’re thrilled to help bring these extra-special live performances to audiences across the month of February.”
Given the ongoing situation with Covid, please note that artists are subject to change at short notice.