Osmo is an ed-tech tool which enables kids to think and play in the real-world, using tangible pieces to create a unique, hands-on learning experience. Using augmented reality (AR) technology, the range of Starter Kits let children see creations they build come to life on a tablet screen, combining physical play with the digital world. The wide range of games available further provide the tools for children to develop skills in everything from English, Maths, Coding, and Art. All you need is an iPad or compatible tablet.
The Osmo range is suitable from early years, with the Little Genius Starter Kit aimed at 3+, up until the age of 10, with the Coding Starter Kit and Genius Starter Kit.
How Osmo works
- 1. Put your device in a compatible Osmo Base with the red reflector over the device’s camera.
- 2. Play with physical game pieces – draw, code, spell and more.
- 3. Osmo scans the table and your child’s creations come alive on the screen!
As any parent knows, coding is high on the agenda of learning for children and if your youngsters are anything like mine, they absolutely love anything to do with it. The Osmo kits are outstanding – extremely high quality, really simple to use and great fun to play with. In these current times, our little ones were kept quiet for hours, as they explored he different games and capabilities on offer.
The best thing about Osmo for our kids (aged 4 and 7) was the way the physical pieces interacted with what was going on on screen – they were totally engrossed, and the functionality and on screen graphics really held their attention.
The Osmo Creative studio was tonnes of fun and the whole family got involved!
There is a huge range of kits and ad-ons (such as the Disney creative studio) available. Check out these highlights:
- NEW! Osmo Coding Kit: the easiest way to introduce coding to kids aged 5-10
- The Coding Starter Kit makes coding accessible to kids and parents with hands-on games that are educational and engaging, transforming a tablet into a hands-on coding adventure
- Kids can connect colourful blocks of code in the physical world to chart their adventure on the screen
- The kit includes three games in one; Coding Awbie, Coding Jam, Coding Duo, enabling children to build coding skills block by block
- Available for iPad and Kindle Fire
- MSRP £99.99
- Osmo Genius Starter Kit: includes everything children aged 6-10 need to experience hands-on learning and digital fun in five different ways
- Kids can play over 500 different puzzles of different shapes and forms, as well as learning problem solving, animals, spelling and maths through the five games – Tangram, Words, Newton, Masterpiece and Numbers
- MSRP, £99.99
- Osmo Little Genius Starter Kit: designed to take kids aged 3–5 on a hands-on learning adventure for pre-school fun and fine motor skill development
- The Little Genius Kit will spark their imaginations and help them to learn critical skills, including over 300 words and gain confidence in letter recognition and vocabulary through the four games – ABC’s, Squiggle Magic, Costume Parties and Stories games
- MSRP, £79.99
Whether you are looking for something new for the kids during lockdown or a Christmas present the whole family can get involved with, we highlight recommend Osmo.
For a full list of starter kits, please visit https://www.playosmo.com/en/shopping/